To see all content, you will need the current version of Adobe Flash Player to view it.
SIGNALLING ON THE LINE SIGNALLING PLANS LATEST PROJECTS NEWS MATLOCK RIVERSIDE DARLEY DALE CROSSING BOX CHURCH LANE CROSSING BOX ROWSLEY SOUTH THE DEPARTMENT THE TELEGRAPH DEPARTMENT Main Page BEFORE CLOSURE 1 BEFORE CLOSURE 2 BEFORE CLOSURE 3 SIGNALBOXES RECOVERED GLENDON NORTH RECOVERY LUFFENHAM MUSINGS BAMFORD MUSINGS S&T LINKS
BEFORE CLOSURE 1
Rowsley South Junction
Down Sidings N0 1 & 2 boxes
Rowsley Up Sidings box 1953
The railway was opened from Derby through to Rowsley (old station) in 1849, signalboxes were located at Darley Dale and Church Lane Crossing to control the level crossings as well as the loop lines for freight and a branch to Stancliffe quarry (now hidden under the estate, when the railway opened beyond Rowsley and across the Peak District -Rowsley became a hub for marshaling freight trains to traverse this narrow transport corridor, a locomotive shed with four covered roads,a turntable and coaling stage were created to serve the neccessary power to operate the trains, together with this- two massive marshalling yards were created at Rowsley, one on the up side of the main line with capacity for 721 waggons and one on the down side for 845 waggons, each with their own signalboxes.Signalboxes were located at Rowsley South Junction,( which controlled the roads to the locomotive depot as well and the entrance to the down sidings,Rowsley up sidings and Rowsley down sidings number 1 & 2 signalboxes (the original Down Sidings box had a german style-Midland turn over wire lever frame)and Rowsley North Junction (controlling the entrance to the original terminus at Rowsley,as well as the new station on the through route. All pictures appear kind permission of Mr G Waite and The Rowsley Association.
Lever frame inside down siding signalbox
A view from the balcony of South Junction signalbox,signalman A Edkins and control reporter enjoying the view
Rowsley station and signalbox c1900
early view of Down Sidings cabin with the shunters platform in rear
Rowsley North,part dismantled in 1970